Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark w/ MSVC++ 2005 EE fails to capture

From: "Rick Gudmundson" <rickg421@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:01:21 -0600
I wanted to second the issue of crashing with DNS & Wireshark compiled with MS005EE. I have similar symptoms where captures without name resolution went fine. However, when name resolution was enabled, it would crash after a few packets were captured. If there's a potential solution that needs testing, I'm up for trying it on my machine here.

Rick

On 1/26/07, Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 03:39:58AM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Stephen Fisher wrote:

> Ah, someone followed the guide :-)

I'm sure glad it's there!

> It might be a good idea to add a compile time check, it the
> MSVC_VARIANT setting matches the _MSC_VER define. This way, such
> problems are at least harder to make :-)

Would it be possible to just set MSVC_VARIANT automatically according to
the _MSC_VER define?

> It's working like a charm, with and without DNS / ADNS enabled.
>
> Without looking too deeply into it, I don't even know why this should
> go wrong. ADNS shouldn't provide any C runtime things that could cause
> trouble because of the different msvcr*.dll versions used. Sorry, no
> idea to help you ...

No problem.  The crash is actually in Wireshark; ADNS is passing back a
bad pointer, even though it says the results are ok.  I'll see if I can
track down the problem.

Thanks,

Steve