Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] User Accessible Tables, please review

From: "Luis Ontanon" <luis.ontanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 04:19:46 +0100
On 1/28/07, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
Guy Harris wrote:
> Are these all preference settings?
> If so, should this be a preference type?
It will be something tied to the pref module, in some cases. In some
other cases it will be pointed by a menu item.

That's the same that comes to my mind.

While I can see that this is a case for a new preference setting type,
adding a completely new mechanism really seems "over engineered" -
unless there's a real good reason to do so.

How you manage a list of 0-N pairs (or triplets or quintuplets or...)
of values? Now for snmp and k12 I used a string preference that points
to a file (each in its own format) and users have to set the
preference and then edit the file. Which another the point you make:

Another drawback of your solution is to explain things to users - some
settings can be set through the GUI, some other can be set through a
file in, some can be ... - that doesn't sound very clean to me.

I plan to write a gui for these tables and the table (or a button to
open an editor window) will appear in preference module.

-- Marshall McLuhan