Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] User Accessible Tables, please review

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 21:35:25 +0100
Guy Harris wrote:
Luis Ontanon wrote:

I have four diferent examples I wrote myself:
four user encap "protocols", the k12 config file, the snmpv3 users
file and lastly the df_macros table

but there's more candidates in there, not written by me:

Are these all preference settings?

If so, should this be a preference type?
That's the same that comes to my mind.

While I can see that this is a case for a new preference setting type, adding a completely new mechanism really seems "over engineered" - unless there's a real good reason to do so.

Another drawback of your solution is to explain things to users - some settings can be set through the GUI, some other can be set through a file in, some can be ... - that doesn't sound very clean to me.

Regards, ULFL