Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark w/ MSVC++ 2005 EE fails to capture

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:37:53 -0800
On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 04:36:33PM -0800, Stephen Fisher wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 10:53:32PM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> > Stephen Fisher wrote:
>
> > > When I run MSVC++ and attach to the process to debug before it
> > > crashes, it fails on line 650 of gui_utils.c.  The line is within
> > > pipe_timer_cb() and says:
> > >
> > > 	handle = (HANDLE) _get_osfhandle (pipe_input->source);
>
> > Hmmm, don't look familiar. I can capture with a msvc2005ee build
> > without problems.

I couldn't find anything wrong with the code so I deleted my source code
and started over in the developer's guide.  One thing I hadn't done
before was change the config.nmake to use the 2005EE compiler instead of
MSVC6.  Now I can capture and open files :)

One problem remains with name lookup - do you have that enabled when
doing a msvc2005ee build?  It's crashing at addr_resolv.c in the
add_ipv4_name() function where it performs this: strncpy(tp->name, name,
MAXNAMELEN).  Name is an invalid pointer when it crashes after opening
or capturing 10-30 frames or so even though adns is returning adns_s_ok
in the previous call (host_name_lookup_process).

Can you duplicate this problem?  I can work on it further, but I wanted
to make sure it isn't just a problem with my setup first.

Thanks,
  Steve