Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Q about new Help ! Manual Pages feature

From: "Bill Meier" <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 23:26:23 -0500
> > Bill Meier wrote:
> > 1. When I select
> >
> > Help ! Manual Pages ! Wireshark   I get a "Copy" pop-up box saying "Select
> > the place where you want to copy wireshark.html".
> >
> > If I hit cancel the wireshark man page displays in Firefox.
> > If I hit 'copy' the file is copied but does not get displayed in Firefox.
> >

> > So: what's the 'copy' popup about ??
> > Something about my configuration ? or what ?
> >

> Ulf Lamping wrote ...
> My machine (XP/Firefox) simply shows the requested manpage in HTML
> format. Sounds like your firefox configuration is strange. I guess that
> has something to do with the local files (file:// prefix) - but i don't
> have a clue about the real cause.

For the record:
After some amount of searching on the web, I found that the reason for the
'copy' popup was that I had some time in the past registered a "Copy to
Folder" ShellEx 'context handler' to provide such a context choice when right-
clicking an entry in Windows Explorer.

Apparently 'shellexecute' as used in webbrowser.c caused the handler to be
invoked. After removing this registry entry I no longer get the "Copy to
Folder" dialog box when accessing the manual pages from FireFox.

I'n not a Windows programmmer so I've don't really understand whether using
shellexecute could result in similar types of effects in other cases.

> > 3. One time while trying out the Help ! ... functions I somehow managed to
> > wedge Wireshark; It wasn't using any CPU but would not respond to any mouse
> > clicks. When I used the task manager to kill Wireshark, the message I got was
> > 'program not responding.... do you want to stop ... ?".
> >
> > I was unable to duplicate this with a few quick tries. I'll see if I can
> > duplicate the problem tomorrow evening and try to see what is going on
> Hmmh, without more input it will be hard to track this down.
>
> I never experienced something like this myself.

I've not been able to duplicate the hang again.....

Bill