Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] How do I initialise a boolean preference

From: "Hal Lander" <hal_lander@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 06:24:11 -0900
I start Wireshark (don't open a file or anything).
My dissector's proto_reg_handoff routine is called.
In the code that runs only once I initialise a variable
   static gboolean prefTick
to TRUE, and register the preference.
Before returning the variable is printed out and it is TRUE.

My dissector's proto_reg_handoff routine is called a second time (I have not done anything in the Wireshark window yet).
Before returning the variable prefTick is printed out and it is FALSE.

In Wireshark I edit the preferences for my protocol, I can see my tick box and it is unticked.
I tick the box and apply it.
My dissector's proto_reg_handoff routine is called
Before returning the variable prefTick is printed out and it is TRUE.

My question are;
1. Why is my proto_reg_handoff routine being called twice initially?
2. Why does the second call set my preference to FALSE?
3. How do I get the tick box to default to TRUE initially (which is what i was trying to do) ?

It looks as though the code is working apart from not having the right initial value.

TIA
Hal

Valentine�s Day -- Shop for gifts that spell L-O-V-E at MSN Shopping http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctId=8323,ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24095&tcode=wlmtagline