Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Define dissector port

From: "Hal Lander" <hal_lander@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 03:52:29 -0900
Jaap,

Thanks I can see what is intended now.

Hal

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Define dissector port
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 19:29:51 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

Lets see how it works. From packet.c:

heur_dissector_add()
{
  sub_dissectors = find_heur_dissector_list(name);
  *sub_dissectors = g_slist_append(*sub_dissectors, (gpointer)dtbl_entry);
}

Where name is "tcp" and dtbl_entry is your protocols dissector information.

When the TCP dissector is ready to search for subdissectors it calls:
dissector_try_heuristic(heur_subdissector_list, next_tvb, pinfo, tree))
which loops over the registered dissectors calling them one by one until
one returns TRUE.

for (entry = sub_dissectors; entry != NULL; entry = g_slist_next(entry)) {
	if ((*dtbl_entry->dissector)(tvb, pinfo, tree)) {
		status = TRUE;
		break;
	}
}

So it comes down to the order in which the dissectors are added to the
heurstic sub dissector list, which in turn depends on the order in which
they are registered with register_all_protocols(). This function is
generated by means of a make-dissector-reg script which takes the order
from the symbol DISSECTOR_SRC.
So, depending on where you've added your dissector in the list determines
the order in which the heuristic dissectors are called.

The question is, should the order of dissectors matter? The design
says No.
It says that because it has the point of view that the heuristics in the
dissector should be smart enough to figure out if the payload handed over
to it is actually the protocol it dissects. So, the point of improvement
is in the heuristics, either yours or from other dissectors.

A work around with the current release is just simply to disable the
dissector of the protocols you're not interested in. This largely improves
the experience with current heuristic dissectors.

Thanx,
Jaap