Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Win32: The best way to solve dependencies for user-guide.chm

From: "Luis Ontanon" <luis.ontanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:57:26 +0100
However for unix the real issue is to have the html files been built.

I thought about parameterized Makefile.am and a catalog.xml.in that
overwrite both files  from the repo (used by cygwin) if --with-fop=xxx
--with-docbook=yyy options are passed to ./configure. What the
--with-fop option should look for is fop, xlstproc and xmllint, the
other one locates the dtds.

On 1/18/07, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Nope, you may imagine distribute .html files with a release but not
> putting them in the svn sources. Would it be a real problem?

The problem is to generate the .html files, as this can be a bit tricky ;-)

> Add an option to the configure (--enable-chm?) which enables the
> compilation of .chm files.
> This option will be disabled by default. If you do not enable this
> option, you'll get an html version of the help (with its cons). If you
> really want .chm files, then you'll have to install all the dependencies.
> Of course in the release you'll have the .chm files.

Missunderstanding. KDE and/or GNOME uses similar (namely HTML based) mechanisms to show help. But they don't use .chm files - the .chm file format is Win32 only AFAIK - so having .chm files is pretty useless on UNIX.

In fact I don't know the details what KDE/GNOME would need to show help in their "native help" mechanisms. I'll leave it as an excercise for the interested reader ;-)

Regards, ULFL