Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is pcap-ng/ntar still in roadmap?

From: "Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:39:25 -0800
Benn,

regarding the NTAR project (i.e. the only implementation of the pcap-ng "wannabe" spec so far) that I "maintain", I've been pretty busy in the last year or so, thus not being able to work on it. The project is not dead at all, I'm simply giving priority to other tasks...

As far as the integration with wireshark is concerned, technically speaking there is one big feature missing from NTAR that is needed by wireshark, that is seeking within a file. I started working on it during the xmas holidays, but I haven't come out with a definitive API for it. The main problem I'm having is the hierarchy of the file (packets are embedded in blocks which are grouped into sections) that make everything much more complicated. I plan to work on it in the upcoming weeks and post something on the NTAR website as soon as possible.

I think that the wireshark devs have a great interest in moving to pcap-ng as the standard trace format (being it through NTAR or reimplementing the spec), I have no idea where this task sits within the Wireshark roadmap, and if this task would fit before or after the 1.0 milestone.

Have a nice day
GV

----- Original Message ----- From: "Benn Bollay" <benn@xxxxxx>