Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Microsoft Visual C Version 6support isa bitoutdated ...

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 01:09:21 +0100
Laurent Rabret wrote:
Hi,
Sorry for not providing this simple patch before. It is OK with VS 2005 express edition, can you check it is OK with previous releases because I do not have them anymore?
I'll try but that will last a while (on 7 different configurations) ...
Regarding relationships between VS express edition and PSDK, I successfully compiled Wireshark once I had only done the 3 first steps of the process adaptation. Therefore, I suppose the misconfig problem comes from another place... Ulf, don't you think it is also a good idea to provide a project file so that debugging would be *a lot* easier because developpers could use all the IDE debugging tools (breakpoints, step by step debugging etc...). Such project file really helped me! I suppose a simple project file created with Visual 6 could be translated by any other MS IDE.
Yes, I was thinking about something like this as well. I'm doing similar for quite a while now on my personal source tree.

I'm using a workspace that contains some projects (so you can easily switch between debugging of Wireshark, tshark, dumpcap) with some "dummy" entries of files I often edit.

The best solution would be to generate this out of the makefile, but that would be much work I guess. However, providing a simple .dsw/.dsp combo for debugging sounds like a good start for newbies in a "much better than nothing" fashion.

But let's get the compilation done right before doing the next step ...

Regards, ULFL