Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] text2pcap help needed

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 12:00:09 +0530
Hi ,

I tried writing a file "test", whose contents were (this is taken from man page for text2pcap):

    000000 00 e0 1e a7 05 6f 00 10
    000008 5a a0 b9 12 08 00 46 00
    000010 03 68 00 00 00 00 0a 2e
    000018 ee 33 0f 19 08 7f 0f 19
    000020 03 80 94 04 00 00 10 01
    000028 16 a2 0a 00 03 50 00 0c
    000030 01 01 0f 19 03 80 11 01

Then I generated a packet using the command
    text2pcap test test_packet.pcap

It successfully generated a packet , but I'm not able to understand how the above data is getting transformed to display the information in the wireshark.

Wireshark displayed information like :
version : 4
header length : 24
differentiated services field : 0x00
total length : 872
identification : 0x0000
flags : 0x00
and so on......

Could anyone please explain how the above values produced such display ( version : 4 , header length : 24 , etc. ) in the wireshark gui.

Regards ,
Vikash

www.wipro.com