Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Microsoft Visual C Version 6 support isa bitoutdated ...

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 04:14:43 +0100
RABRET Laurent RD-MAPS-ISS wrote:
Of course there's one, I posted a patch about 1.5 years ago for the formerly Ethereal to successfully compiled with Visual > 6. I have always successfully used this patched Ethereal/Wireshark compiled with VS 2003 and have just checked when compiled with Visual C++ 2005 Express --> No problem if we include the .exe/dll.manifest to the distribution.
checked in
I do not understand why this patch was not applied but it's maybe because I do not know glib (or because the macro does not work on VS6/Unices -> not tested on these environments). The "spirit" of the patch is very simple: Do not use glib API for file handling whilst glib is compiled with visual studio 6.

I guess this wasn't checked in as all the core developers were using MSVC version 6 at that time - no chance to test it.

In the meantime we dropped support for Win95/98/ME which was causing some of the trouble with locale/UTF16 confusion in the filenames. I guess the current eth_fopen and alike things could be simplified - but this requires a deeper look (and I have lot's of things on my todo list :-).

However, your solution should work for now  ...
Caution: if you test, DO NOT FORGET to compile "zlib" to ensure RT lib consistency.
I've just disabled ZLIB (avoiding compilation of it - for now) and GNUTLS (strange compiler error that I don't understand) in the config.nmake, if anything else than MSVC6 is used. This should work for now.

Next will be to have a look at the NSIS installation of the manifest and (probably) msvcr files ...

Regards, ULFL