Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Protocol development

From: "Anders Broman \(AL/EAB\)" <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:20:56 +0100
Hi,
The pacet capture is handled by libpcap or winpcap (or some other tool/program) depending on the platform used.
In the case of Ethernet the capture is made by puting the Ethernet car in promiscuous mode
which means that all packets on the network segment the card is on will be captured.

Dissection is based on the protocol layer an Ethernet packet will be handled to the Ethernet dissector
which in the case of IP will hand it to the IP dissector which will hand it to the UDP dissector in the case of UDP.
On UDP it gets trickier to discover what protocol is used on top of UDP basically three metods exists:
- Dissector registered on a particular port.
- Hueristics ( look at the packet data and guess).
- Conversation - A previous (Control packet) packet was dissected which had information about which ports and addresses was going to be used for a certain protocol.

Its done in a similar manner for other protocols.

BR
Anders