Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark Plugin] Accentued Characters

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 13:11:08 -0800
PLOUARD Jocelyn wrote:

I have a request. I want to display accentued characters (like �, unicode 0xe9, utf8 0xc3a9).
It seems that Wireshark doesn't support acctentued characters.
Could someone tell me if it is possible to display this sort of characters?

Display them where?

For displaying them in the GUI:

In versions of Wireshark built with GTK+ 2.x, it should be possible, although if the goal is to display them in a string, that's more work. (Not all strings are Unicode....)

In versions of Wireshark built with GTK+ 1.2[.x], it's a *lot* more difficult; GTK+ 2.x uses UTF-8-encoded Unicode as its string representation, but GTK+ 1.2[.x] uses the font's native encoding.

For displaying them elsewhere:

That's trickier - when written to a file, should the file use UTF-8? What if you're writing to the standard output? And what about printing?

At some point we will probably support non-ASCII characters in field values, but there's a significant amount of work that would be needed to do it correctly.