Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Slow loading of WS 0.99.4 - any ideas?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:52:21 +0800

Gerald Combs wrote:
Stuart MacDonald wrote:
This is posted via gname, since you can't reply via the archive and I don't
have the actual email any more. Sorry.

"Ulf Lamping" <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote in message news:1381243845@xxxxxx...
Some people reported much slower initial loading of WS 0.99.4 on Windows compared to previous versions. It seems that it stays in the "Init Dissectors" text on the splash screen for about 13 seconds!
[snip]
As I cannot confirm this on my developer machine, anyone else seeing this or have a clue what's the cause?
Yep. Upgraded from 0.99.3 -> 0.99.4 just now, and the delay shoots up to about 11 seconds.

It might be helpful if someone who's having the problem could download
Process Monitor from
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/processesandthreads/processmonitor.mspx
and look for operations that take an unusually long time during
Wireshark's startup.

Thanks for the clue as to how to debug things on Windows.  :-)

Unfortunately, the vast majority of my startup delay happens in between these 2 events (filtered on Process Name==wireshark.exe):

9961	12:10:32.2664940 PM	wireshark.exe	2112	CloseFile	C:\Program Files\Wireshark\wireshark.exe	SUCCESS
13568	12:11:03.3613993 PM	wireshark.exe	2112	RegOpenKey	HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions	SUCCESS	Desired Access: Read

I was watching my system's time while this was happening and Wireshark entered "Init dissectors" around 12:10:32.

I can send a complete log if that might be useful.