Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How do I nest dissectors

From: Brian Vandenberg <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:12:14 -0700
Your best bet is to visit the wireshark website's developer info section. In particular, you should read readme.DEVELOPER, readme.PLUGINS, and readme.DISSECTORS (the latter is critical).

 The dissectors one is long, but worth the read.

-Brian

Hal Lander wrote:
The protocol I want to dissect ' foo' is contained within the data of a UPD packet. Normall Wireshark would display the UPD packet showing it has a length of 44 bytes and displaying its source and destination. It would also show that the UDP packet contains 36 bytes of data (which is where my protocol is).

Once I introduce my dissector using
    dissector_add("udp.port", 2080, ff_handle);
Wireshark shows foo packets with a length of 44 and no other information.

I was expecting Wireshark to first dissect the UDP packet, then stat to dissect my foo protocol in the data of the UDP.

I am obviously not understanding how to nest the dissectors, can anybody point me in the right direction.

TIA
Hal