Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Release 00.99.4 missing file?

From: "Robert Trybis" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:31:19 -0000
Hello,

Peter hit the nail on the head, it's the Windows PATH variable.
The cygwin installation does not set an environment variable to allow
python to be found. Also all the stuff that accumulates in the PATH
environment variable can confuse things, though I don't think the length
is important.

As Peter suggested the solution is not to use the default environment
PATH but to make a clean PATH variable with the minimum information
required for the build.

You can do this in your command window with;
> PATH=C:\windows\system32\;C:\cygwin\bin\;
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Bin\VCVARS32.BAT

You need the path to C:\windows\system32\ or the build will give errors
about XCOPY and possibly other things not being found. The path to
C:\cygwin\bin\ finds python avoiding the error "ENV: PYTHON: No such
file or directory" error. The batch file adds the paths required by
Microsoft Visual Studio 6.

The resulting path is;

PATH=C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Common\msdev98\BIN;C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\VC98\B
IN;C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Common\TOOLS\WINNT;C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Common\T
OOLS;C:\windows\system32\;C:\cygwin\bin\;

Another step forward :-)

Can anybody tell me how to undo everything that has been done by
Nmake -f Makefile.nmake all
?

I have had several partial builds each with errors before getting an
exe.
I would like to start from scratch and run right through with a clean
build.
The exe I have presently got generates an error about a dll not being
found, but I'll raise that in another thread.

Thanks for the help
RT