Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Questions about dev

From: "Kukosa, Tomas" <tomas.kukosa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 08:51:16 +0100
Hello,

I use a little bit differen solution for a similar problem.
Sometimes I need to dissect proprietray protocols from tracesfiles not
supported by Wireshark.
I use following way:
1) convert trace file to pcap format with linktype DLT_USERx (x=0-15)
   simple conversion tool can be written in Perl, Python or whatever you
like
2) register my dissector to WTAP_ENCAP_USERx;
   dissector_add("wtap_encap", WTAP_ENCAP_USERx, my_proto_handle);

The advantage is that it does not need any changes (and recompilation)
in Wireshark.

regards,
  Tomas