Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Plugin for Lawful Interception of SSL/TLS messages ...

From: Brian Vandenberg <phantal@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 10:08:46 -0700
Krishna,

It is true that there is a way to decrypt SSL/TLS in wireshark, and to write a dissector that can handle a protocol that's tunneled through SSL/TLS. If you're writing a dissector that will look at the voip traffic, here's generally what you'd do:

* One of the two connections in the SSL tunnel needs to be using a static key, and you need a copy of this key.
* In wireshark, click Edit -> Preferences -> Protocols -> SSL
* A field on this screen (name escapes me) takes a parameter formatted like this:

-Brian

phanivenkata.krishna@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

I�m doing a study project on Voip security using TLS. We can send H.323 messages in an encrypted TLS tunnel. To debug these messages we need a plug-in in Wireshark which actually decrypts the TLS and the tunneled messages. However, I guess it is not so easy to decrypt the data sent in the TLS tunnel.

I heard that there is Lawful Interception services with which can get/trace the keys exchanged during TLS handshake and use the keys for further decryption of data may be by feeding the key to TLS plug-in or so.

Does Wireshark have support for this kind of functionality?

Can any one help me in giving more details and information in this area?

Regards,

Krishna .

www.wipro.com