Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Retrieving the SVN repository version

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 13:07:47 +0100
> Ulf Lamping wrote:
> >>
> > And now it get's ugly ;-)
> >
> > If I try to use svnversion (in the WS sources dir) under cygwin I get:
> >
> > svn: This client is too old to work with working copy '.'; please get a
> > newer Subversion client
> >
> > This is due to the fact that I'm using TortoiseSVN (SVN 1.4.x) on my
> > everyday work but the cygwin version in the PATH is still "svnversion,
> > version 1.3.2 (r19776) compiled Jul 14 2006, 22:16:08."
> >
> > Although I agree that svnversion is the way to go in principle, it will
> > produce new problems on the Win32 platform :-(
> >
> > Any ideas welcome ...
> >

> There is a known issue where if an svn working copy is touched by an svn
> client of version 1.4.0 or later, the format of the wc is upgraded and
> can not be handled by a downlevel client.  As the cygwin version of svn
> 1.4.0 isn't out yet then you have to be careful about your wc and other
> clients e.g. TortoiseSVN.

Well, the returned message from svnversion makes it obvious that this is the case ...

> Note that there can also be other conflicts (pun intended) when using
> cygwin and windows native svn clients due to line endings.  IMHO it's
> best not to mix and match on the same wc.

The only reason that I've installed the cygwin port is to have svnversion available - which then doesn't work :-(

I've deinstalled the cygwin port and installed the Win32 native version 1.4.0 - which is working well.

> AFAIK there is no specific svn client recommendation for Win32 Wireshark
>  work, then maybe it should be set to the svn command line tools, which
> would ensure svnversion is available.  If developers then want to use
> additional tools so be it.

You'll find the recommendations in the Developer's Guide:
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChToolsInstallWin32.html#ChToolsInstallWin32Recommended

First of all, a Windows developer (like me) will find the TortoiseSVN client much more "natural" to work with than the command line tools.

Is the subversion command line client still optional then? It was once, but this seems to become an "integral part" of the build process. If that's the case, we should recommend the Win32 native port (as this is much more likely to keep the same version as TortoiseSVN compared to the cygwin port).

I will update the Developer's Guide accordingly...

Regards, ULFL