Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Retrieving the SVN repository version

From: Lars Ruoff <Lars.Ruoff@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 10:02:11 +0100
What Ulf wanted to say (i think) is that as a Windows developer you don't have to have subversion installed *at all* in order to access the repository. TortoiseSVN (as an example) is working just fine.
But then you don't have svnversion!
Forcing every Windows developer to install this just to get the revision number out is a bit hard i think.

Lars

Bill Meier wrote:
And now it get's ugly ;-)

If I try to use svnversion (in the WS sources dir) under cygwin I get:

svn: This client is too old to work with working copy '.'; please get a newer Subversion client

This is due to the fact that I'm using TortoiseSVN (SVN 1.4.x) on my everyday work but the cygwin version in the PATH is still "svnversion, version 1.3.2 (r19776) compiled Jul 14 2006, 22:16:08."

Although I agree that svnversion is the way to go in principle, it will produce new problems on the Win32 platform :-(

Any ideas welcome ...

Ulf:

FWIW: I use the Windows 1.4 Subversion package downloaded from http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html w/o any apparent problems. (I've never downloaded the Subversion package available from the cygwin site).

I'm no expert on all this so I don't know if requiring the use of the
'native' Windows version is an appropriate approach to this issue.

Bill