Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Debugging in a win32 environment

From: Brian Vandenberg <phantal@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:57:45 -0600
I have a license for VS6, VS7, and VS8. I can only compile with VS6, but I've found I can debug with VS8 which has a much nicer debug interface than VS6, but VS8 tells me the symbols compiled into wireshark's DLLs are in an obsolete format -- which means I can't add breakpoints to files outside of my project. VS6 works with the symbols just fine, and I don't currently have VS7 installed to check on that one (it has a better debugger than 6 as well, but I don't know that I really want to make more space for it just for debugging purposes).

So, in short, does anyone have a good explanation for why VS8 doesn't recognize/allow me to use the symbols in wiresharks binaries -- symbols that were likely created using VS6 (I'm dropping my plugin into a release build of wireshark and debugging that, rather than my own build of wireshark), and is there a workaround?

-Brian