Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] tshark fails to capture packet on IB interface

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:44:40 -0700
Sharma, Karun wrote:

I am trying to capture packets on Infiniband interface but getting error (see below). tshark is working fine for eth0 interface. I am using 0.99.4 version and RHEL4 up3 x86_64 machine. Is there any known solution/workaround for this issue? Can you please send me a patch to solve this issue.

What happens if you try to do

	tcpdump -s 65535 -i ib0

I very strongly suspect you'll get the same "ioctl: Value too large for defined data type" message.

If so, this is a libpcap issue. I'll send you the URL for a tarball with the source to a new version of libpcap with better debugging information (i.e., saying *which* ioctl was having the problem). You'll have to build that, along with tcpdump, and try capturing with the new tcpdump.