Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] need urgent info on 802.11n feature development

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:27:27 +0200
On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 02:46:07PM +0530, joyjit mullick wrote:
> i would like to get an idea of the time around which the 802.11n frames(as
> according to 802.11n-D1.0.pdf ) decoding support
> will be fully implemented in ethereal.

When

a) We have documentation how to implement this protocol (the drafts are
   not freely available).
b) We have sample captures for all packet types.
c) Someone finds the time and motivation to actually do it.
d) The protocol seems to be stable enough that the next draft doesn't
   require a major rewrite.

> please give me a definite time frame or the relase in which it is targeted

Wireshark is written mostly by volunteers in their free time. So asking
for "a definite time frame" is a bit unrealistic. In case you
desparately need this thing, you may consider to offer to provide the
necessary resources and pay for the development - things might look
differently then but until then, WS is a volunteer project and a
definitive time frame just doesn't sit well with volunteers. Providing
just the protocol spec and some traces might get someone started on the
project even without payment - just don't expect them to meet deadlines.

> and one question i have been an user of ethereal for quite some time now,
> since its remeaned to wireshark what are the components one needs to install
> as a prerequisite for sniffing .
> is it only the latest winpcap

AFAIK yes.

 ciao