Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Need info of "recently" added: GNUTLS, KFW, NETTLE, LUA and

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:52:24 -0700
Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> The recently added libs are not mentioned in the documentation and in the "About" box.
>
> To add it, I need the following infos of the libs:
>
> - what is it (e.g. PortAudio - portable cross-platform Audio API)
> - what is it used for in Wireshark (e.g. enables audio support for RTP streams)
> - how can it be used in Wireshark (e.g. how to use the RTP audio output?)
> - URL to get the Unix version (e.g. http://www.portaudio.com/download.html)
> - URL to get Win32 binaries (e.g. ???)
> - how can it be detected if installed and how to get the version - into the version info (About box "Compiled with" / "Running with")
>
> If someone can provide me with that info, I'll add that to the Devel Guide and Readme.Win32 and will try to add it to version_info.c.

There should probably be separate items for GnuTLS and Gcrypt:

GnuTLS

What it is:

  The GNU Transport Layer Security library.  Provides support for the
  TLS and SSL protocols, along with associated authentication,
  certificate handling, and encryption/decryption.

What it's used for: SSL/TLS decryption
Unix version: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/
Windows version: We roll our own using http://josefsson.org/gnutls4win/

Libgcrypt:

What it is:

  Low-level encryption library.  Provides support for many ciphers, such
  as DES, 3DES, AES, Blowfish, and others.

What it's used for: Decryption support in several places.
Unix version: http://www.gnupg.org/
Windows version: Part of our homemade GnuTLS package.

Both libraries provide routines and defines for version numbers and
strings, e.g. GNUTLS_VERSION and GCRYPT_VERSION.

I added Nettle support for a client a while back.  If no one else is
using it we might want to drop it in favor of Libgcrypt.