Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] nettl (HP-UX) - Added dump capability

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 01:33:45 -0700
The code you added (a couple of years ago) to support writing nettl files put "ethereal" in the host name field of the nettl header.

Unfortunately, that field is 9 bytes long, which presumably means 8 characters plus a terminating '\0', and that's not big enough to hold the new name of the application - "wireshark" - if you include the terminating '\0'.

The current top-of-tree Subversion code currently writes out "wshark", but, given that we don't necessarily know the name of the host on which the capture we're writing out was done, would we be better off writing out an empty string? Can HP's tools that read nettl captures handle an empty host name string?