Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark-0.99.2 and OpenBSD 3.9

From: Dale Carstensen <dlc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 14:21:47 -0600
I browsed a bit in the gmane archive for the problems I'm seeing
building wireshark 0.99.2 on OpenBSD 3.9, and all I found was a
note about adding @GCRYPTLIBS@ to Makefile.am in 3 places, so I'm
thinking the problems I see haven't been addressed.

First, make couldn't build wireshark because it couldn't find the
library it wanted for wiretap.  I changed the libtool in ./wiretap
so both "build_old_libs=no" lines are yes instead, then rebuilt and
I was on to the next problem.  Probably using -lwiretap as static
wasn't the proper solution, though.

Then, same thing with -lacn, and I noticed ./plugins has many
sub-directories and acn is just the first, so I looked about for
other libtool files and did the same old_libs trick in the top
directory's libtool.  On to the next problem.  It's probably even
sillier to have all these plugins static, but let's see if it works
at all.

Third, there are about 50 undefined references in linking wireshark.
Five prefixes typify most of them, plus four of them are gpg_strerror.
The five are gcry, XFixes, Xcursor, Xinerama and XML_.  As I noted
above, there was a message about -lgcrypt in the wireshark-dev
archive, so that may be all the gcry prefixes, but none of the
others seem to have provoked any similar advice.

So I'm just dropping this note along, in case anybody has time to
let the list know what's best to do about the problems.  Maybe it's
more an OpenBSD ports problem.  If wireshark were in ports, maybe
the right dependencies would sort this out.  And I'm looking at
wireshark because ethereal doesn't seem to be in the OpenBSD 3.9
ports.  Oh, and I see from the ports@ archive from openbsd that
ethereal was dropped in, oh, July 2004, for having too many
security vulnerabilities.  Well, that in itself is thought-provoking.
Still, I intend to get wireshark to work, on OpenBSD.  Eventually.
If it's never in ports, so be it.

  Dale