Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Copy over personal profile files from Ethereal to Wireshark now

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 20:58:50 +0200
Hi List!

There was still an open point about copying over the "old" preferences and alike files from Ethereal to Wireshark.

I had a look at the current implementation. The problem to my previous proposal is, that not only the files that we read and write are located in that dir, but probably others as well, like the hosts file.

So what we really need is a function in Wireshark, that will simply copy over all files from the old to the new dir.

As no one seems to be doing the required changes over the last week (and I'm busy myself), I've done a quick and dirty solution to add this to the Win32 NSIS installer (only a few lines of code).

I've added a message box that asks the user to copy or not, but I don't see a reason why a user wouldn't like this, so I commented it out again :-)

So NSIS will do the copy process if:

- the Wireshark dir doesn't exist
- the Ethereal dir exists

However, this is a quick and dirty solution which obviously has it's drawbacks:

- won't work for platforms other than Win32
- won't work well for multiuser configurations (as it's only copying the user profile of the user which is executing the installer)

So, at least we have a better than nothing solution,

Regards, ULFL