Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Next release (plus SVN and roadmap changes)

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 11:57:56 +0200
Kukosa, Tomas wrote:
Would not it be better to make /trunk-1.0 as late as we have implemented all features planned for 1.0.0?
Then the /trunk-1.0 would continue only with bug fixies.
I am affraid when we make /trunk-1.0 now we will come to the same conclusion during next release, i.e. to forgot /trunk-1.0 and use /trunk.
I had a similar feeling.

Looking at the way the story went: the work of copying over from the experimental to the stable branch was an overhead that caused a lot of confusion and unpleasant work.

So in my eyes it was a try that failed. However, doing the same mistake again would be dumb, as I don't see any reason that it will work the next time.

The purpose of the stable branch was to raise the quality of the release.

We might take other mechanisms:
- a zero compiler warning tolerance (difficult as we compile on several different platforms)
- a requirement to provide capture files (for fuzz-testing)
- release more often (to provide at least fixes for the known and currently fixed bugs) - don't accept substantial changes near release time (no new dissectors, ...)

I know that the "renaming session" took a lot of recent effort, but I think the former method of simply release often did a better job than the current "splitted branches" solution.

Regards, ULFL