Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] wifi sniffing

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 02:38:04 -0700
On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 01:02:04PM -0700, Jason wrote:
> It just sits there.  Any ideas?  I know I'm doing
> something wrong thats probably very obvious.  I'm
> running windows xp pro with ethereal.

That's what you're doing wrong - running Windows with Ethereal. :-)

Windows drivers for 802.11 interfaces don't support packet capture very
well.  Some of them might not, for example, work in promiscuous mode -
try turning promiscuous mode off and see if you see traffic (even though
you won't see any third-party traffic between other machines on your
wifi network with promiscuous mode off).